Child burns to death in fire

LYDENBURG – A three-year-old child burnt to death on Saturday night when a paraffin lamp apparently fell over in their shack in Marikana extension in Mashishing.

According to hazmat operator, Deon Broekman, the mother went to buy a cold drink not far from the shack when the incident occurred.

It is said that the three children of Betty Mbokane (36) were in the shack when the lamp tumbled over and set fire to the dwelling. Little Duminani Mbokane did not survive the fire and was burnt beyond recognition. Mbokane’s other two children Joel (4) and Given (7) escaped the burning house. Joel is currently in Lydenburg hospital with third-degree burns.

Broekman said that the danger concerning shack fires is that there are no walls. “It consists of wood and corrugated iron and it basically burns out within three minutes. When we arrived on scene mere minutes after it was reported, everything was already burnt to the ground.”

The mayor of Thaba Chweu Local Municipality (TCLM) Selina Mashego paid a visit to the surviving family members on Sunday at Lydenburg hospital.

In the meantime, any donations towards the family, including clothes for the seven and four-year-old boys, furniture and food are welcome. To assist in any matter, Broekman can be phoned on 079-163-0814.

 

Capt. Alfred Moela, spokesperson for Lydenburg SAPS, confirmed the incident and said that a case of inquest has been opened.

  AUTHOR
Narda Vermaak
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Miss Cappello and her princesses crowned